Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sour Cream Spice Cake with Orange Butter Frosting


I've have sadly neglected this blog. I know, I should be reported for blog abuse.


I've been baking though, and I've been taking photos of my culinary creations. However, I just haven't sat down at the computer to write up the posts.  And once I got behind, I began feeling guilty. And, the recipes kept piling up. I'd look at the computer and think about writing, but then I'd feel overwhelmed. It turned into vicious cycle. It was much easier, and frankly more enjoyable, to go watch Masterpiece Theater than blog. I got hooked (like practically everyone I know) on Downton Abby, I watched all of Little Dorrit and Great Expectations, and I was glued to season one of Sherlock.


Well, I have a bit of free time this evening, I am determined to get one recipe posted. To get the others finished, I've made the goal of getting caught up before season two of Sherlock airs this Sunday. Let me tell you that is motivation enough for me. We've been waiting so long for season two. They left us with such a cliff hanger, and the guy playing Moriarty is creepy beyond belief.


So, among the recipes I have to post are several birthday cakes. Here is one I made for my student Taylor, whose birthday was months ago. I got the recipe for spice cake with orange butter frosting from one of my new favorite cookbooks, All Cakes Considered. At the time, I couldn't try it because I had given up sugar for Lent. However, the smell was incredible, and everyone's reactions proved to me this cake is a winner. Now that Lent is over, I'm looking forward to making this cake again (and there goes the 10 lbs. I lost, too).


Happy Birthday, Taylor!
It was a serious temptation not to take even a little taste of this frosting it looked so good. I had to quickly give the boys the beaters to lick and rinse the bowl and get it into the dishwasher before I lost all self control.




Sour Cream Spice Cake
from All Cakes Considered 

Ingredients:
  • 2 ¼ cups cake flour
  • ¾ tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 2 tsps. Ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • ½ tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 ⅔ cups sugar
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350°.

Prepare two 8-in. or 9-in. round or one tube pan by greasing the bottom and side. Line the bottom of the pan(s) with parchment paper. Grease again and lightly flour.

Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves together. Whisk in the sugar.

With the mixer on medium speed beat together the melted and cooled butte, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract and continue beating on medium speed until thoroughly blended.

Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until thoroughly blended.

Pour the batter into the cake pan(s) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean.

Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Unmold onto cake racks and cool to room temperature.
Frost with orange butter frosting.

Orange Butter Frosting
Ingredients:
  • ½ cup butter at room temperature
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • ¼ cup evaporated milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. orange extract
  • 3 Tbsps. dried orange peel
Cream the butter in the mixer at medium speed. Beat in the powdered sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and orange extract. Mix until smooth. Add the orange peel and mix until incorporated.

Frost the cake and refridgerate for 20 minutes to firm up the frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.