Thursday, May 3, 2012

Peach Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting


Two posts in two days?

You better believe I am serious about getting caught up. (especially when it means I get to watch the season 2 premier of Sherlock if I reach my goal)

This cake may look just like the one in the previous post. But, the only similarity is that they both come from the same book, All Cakes Considered. I'm definitely a fan of this book.

I've never had a peach cake, and this sounded really good. And topping it off with a cream cheese frosting enhanced with a dash of ginger made it sound amazing. However, since I was still on my no-sugar kick for Lent, I was just going to have to go on faith.

The occasion for the cake was a lost bet. Or maybe it would be better to say it was a reward for an accomplished goal. To make a long story short and not bore your with the details, the two young ladies below, Erika and Megan, said they could complete a task related to one of our events at work that has traditionally taken weeks for students to accomplish. They said they could do it in four days. I didn't really think it was possible, but I didn't want to squash their enthusiasm, so I offered a cake as a reward. When I got a text informing me they were able to check that assignment off their list, I congratulated them and asked when they wanted their cake. The day they chose just happened to be Megan's birthday. There you have it—two birds with one stone cake.

Well done Erika and Megan!
The cake was a huge hit with everyone. Katie even came by the office to try it. She said the cake is a definite favorite. In addition to the frosting, she loves the cake texture and the flavor of the peaches. I look forward to making this again when I'm not off sugar.


I apologize for the picture above. The cakes I make for the office are usually finished right before I rush out the door to work. I never get a chance to set up a proper photo. Oh well, I think you can still get the idea.




Peach Cake

Ingredients:
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 ¾ cups sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups sliced peaches, preferably canned
Preheat the oven to 375°.
Prepare a 10-in. tube pan by greasing the bottom and side. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease again and flour.
On medium speed, mix together eggs, sugar, and oil until just blended.
In a separate bowl, dry whisk flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon together. Add to the egg mixture and beat until just combined. The batter should be sticky.
Fold in the peaches.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan before unmolding. Allow to cool completely on a baking rack.
Frost with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
  • 3 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
  • 4 Tbsps. unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • ½ tsp. ground ginger
On medium speed, mix together cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
Gradually add the powdered sugar and ginger. Beat until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.