Saturday, July 3, 2010

Chewy Ginger Cookies

Katie discovered this recipe back in our Bed & Breakfast days. Each afternoon, we set out cookies and other treats for afternoon tea. These cookies were always a favorite among our guests, and we loved the recipe because it fit the following criteria:
  1. The recipe makes a lot. We made a ton of cookies at the B&B. Now when we make these cookies, we have enough to share with friends and neighbors.
  2. They're so easy to make. My six year-old, Tomas, helps and especially loves the rolling in sugar part.
  3. They taste great. When Tomas has all of his neighborhood friends over begging for them, you know you have a winner.
And, one other thing I like is that they are chewy. I'm not a big fan of the traditional hard ginger snap.

Because of all the spices, fall is my favorite time of the year to eat these cookies. However, they really are a great year-round. Check back here in a day or two, and I will show you something you can do with these ginger cookies to turn them into a summer treat that is beyond amazing—truly mind blowing.


"Tomas, go get your friends. We've got cookies!"
Soft and chewy. I can never have just one. In fact, I'd be 
embarrassed to admit how many I've had in a single sitting. 
So, how about we don't go there.


Chewy Ginger Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 ½ cups butter
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup molasses
  • 1 ½ tsps. ginger
  • 2 tsps. cinnamon
  • 1 ½ tsps. cloves
  • ½ tsp. nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 3 ½ tsps. baking soda
  • 4 ½ to 5 cups flour
Cream together the sugar, butter, eggs, and molasses until fluffy. Sift together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Roll small (walnut size) balls of dough in sugar. I use a small ice cream scoop. Bake on a cookie sheet in a 350° oven for about 10 minutes or until crinkled and brown. Makes about 3 ½ to 4 dozen cookies.

9 comments:

  1. I have that jar. Ikea, right? Basically, if this recipe fills the jar, then #1 is indeed true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. P--You guessed it. We in Utah are fairly new to IKEA. I can spend serious time and money in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? You guys ran a bed & breakfast? Where and when was this?

    I only like hard cookies. Can I let them sit out and get stale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lois--Yep, we ran a B&B in Salt Lake called the Castle Creek Inn. If you ever think about wanting to run one, come talk to us and we'll give you an earful to consider.

    And as for hard cookies, you can let these sit out to get stale, but there are plenty of ginger snap recipes that come out of the oven hard. Do you at least eat your hard cookies with milk? That's the only way I'll eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curtis--technical question. Do you use butter or shortening? The list says butter, but instructions say shortening. Answer, oh wise one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Farrah--Good question, and thanks for finding my mistake. The original recipe called for shortening. However, I rarely ever use shortening, so I substituted butter, and they turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Curtis!! I made the dough yesterday and I used shortening (because my other recipe called for shortening) and they seem great. But I'll put a note that I can use butter. Can I ask why you prefer butter over shortening? Just more natural or is there some other culinary reason?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Farrah--I prefer to use butter just because it's a little healthier. However, there are times when I will use shortening such as certain pie crusts, empanda dough, and one of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Curtis. I just don't why they sometimes call for shortening and sometimes butter--if it actually makes a difference the way things turn out. The cookies are fabulous, by the way! I made the ice cream too so I'll be sampling that tomorrow. I'm so happy to have another good foodie blog to follow! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.