Thursday, December 24, 2009

Six Month Fudge?

What treat should we leave for Santa? Sure, he's kind of overweight and should probably share a carrot with Rudolph. But, it's Christmas, right? We also want Santa to forget all about those times we made the naughty list and leave us a nice stash of presents under the tree, so we've got to leave out a plate of the good stuff.


How about fudge?  Mmmm. I think so!


This recipe is called Six Month Fudge?. Notice the period after the question mark. The question mark is part of the name. Why? Well, this recipe comes from my grandmother who called it six month fudge because it can last up to that long. However, growing up this fudge was always gobbled up so quickly, it never even  made it to six days. Sometimes it even vanished in under six hours. Therefore, I had to add the question mark.


Tonight, I'm passing on the recipe to the fourth generation. Liam, my little sous chef, is helping me make the fudge. My mother told me that the amounts of the various ingredients are according to the package sizes during my grandmother's day, and the recipe is very forgiving. So, if your package size is a couple ounces off from what the recipe calls for, don't stress.


I'm sure Santa will love this. Tonight, he can eat all the treats he wants; he'll be working hard for it. Then, his New Year's resolution can be to give up sweets and hit the treadmill.



Fourth generation, Liam, stirring the fudge.

Liam and Tomas with Santa's bribe. 

Hey, Santa! Doesn't this look good?

Six Month Fudge?

Ingredients:

  • 16 oz. chocolate chips
  • 1 lb. Hershey bar
  • 1 pint marshmallow cream
  • 4 ½ cups sugar
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 pinch salt
Put chocolate chips, Hershey bar and marshmallow cream into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Mix sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt together in a saucepan and boil for four minutes. Pour mixture into the mixing bowl and stir quickly until smooth. Add chopped walnuts if desired. Pour into a buttered 9x13 pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.