Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pennington’s Chunky Salsa

Around the office, my coworkers exchange little gifts at Christmastime. I like to give homemade gifts from the kitchen. With over 20 somethings to create, it can get a little expensive and time consuming. Since this year we are still trying to pay off our family's little Austrian summer jaunt and the fact that this semester was one of the busiest I've ever experienced, cheap and easy was the way to go.

I searched through recipes and brainstormed with Katie. And finally, it came to me. Salsa! It was different from anything I'd handed out in the past, and I knew just the recipe.

Over 30 years ago, my mother received this recipe from her friend, Mrs. Pennington. We loved Mrs. Pennington, and we loved her salsa! Katie and I have continued to make it with our family. It is so incredibly simple to make, and it easily beats out any store bought stuff.

In no time at all, I had the jars of salsa ready and was spreading Christmas cheer around the office.

Hand out gifts to coworkers? Check. Now, I wish everything else on my holiday to do list were that easy!


Feliz Navidad! Salsa with red and green tortilla chips.

Pennington's Chunky Salsa

Ingredients:

  • 1 4-oz. can diced black olives
  • 1 4-oz. can diced green chilies
  • 2 large tomatoes, diced
  • 4 whole green onions, chopped
  • 1 ½ Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. garlic salt
  • 3 Tbsps. olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate. Salsa will keep in the refrigerator for two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.