Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sunshine Boont (or Bundt)

I've been away for a while. We went camping for a week on the beach in California, and afterward, it's taken me a week to get caught up in the real world. I made this cake before leaving but am just now getting around to posting it.

Late one night, I checked Facebook and saw that my colleague, Julie, was having a birthday the following day. I had to bake something because Julie is the one at work who always seems to remember everyone else's birthday. She probably even knows my kid's birthdays, and I wouldn't be surprised if she knew my dog's. Julie is also the kind of colleague who is there to lend a hand with everyone's projects. And, she's certainly helped me out on a number of stressful occasions at work.

Since it was late, whatever I was going to make needed to be quick and easy. After skimming through recipes, I found a citrus Bundt cake that sounded really good. It uses a cake mix, which is generally a major sin in our home, but when you're short on time, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. I modified the recipe some according to the ingredients on hand, but it turned out great—very moist and a nice change from all the chocolate desserts I tend to make.

Everyone at work loved it, too. And, the scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding was quoted numerous times throughout the day.
Boont?
Bundt.
Boont?
Bundt.
BOONT?
BUNDT......
OH, ITS A CAKE.

"There's a hole in this cake."–Maria Portokalos.

Happy birthday, Julie! 

Boont? Bundt? Let's snarf!



Sunshine Bundt

Ingredients:

  • 1 lemon cake mix
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ⅔ cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs, separated
Grease and flour a Bundt pan. Place cake mix, orange juice, sugar, oil, and egg yolks in a bowl. Beat for 4 minutes. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into batter. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350˚ for 40 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Let cool for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate. Stir glaze ingredients together until smooth. Pour or brush over cake while still warm.

Glaze

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • ¼ cup orange juice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.