Friday, May 14, 2010

Blackberry Apple Pie

Wow, I can't believe this blog is already six months old.

My original goal was to post one recipe each week. Since this is post number 32, I'm actually a little ahead of schedule. I'm slowly learning the ins and outs of food blogging, and I finally moved up in the world and got a decent camera. As I browse around through other food blogs, I see I have much to learn about baking, writing, and taking good photos. But, I'm pleased with my progress so far.

For most of this past half year, I could count on one hand the people who looked at this blog. Then, it suddenly happened. Boom! Almost overnight, I had ten followers. And, I don't even know half of them. I'm still slightly bewildered that anyone would take an interest. However, I'm also very pleased, and I thank all ten of you. If I'm not living up to your expectations, let me know, and I'll get it in gear.

Now all this leads up to why I'm posting a pie recipe. One of my followers, Ms. Humble, has one of my favorite food blogs. She is seriously the queen of food blogging. She's entertaining, posts great recipes, and takes beautiful photos. Plus, it has happened more than once that I have been sitting in front of the computer with my jaw dropped in amazement at her absolute precision in cutting cakes, pies, and brownies. Seriously, it's like she's performing delicate surgery on the food. I must say I was quite honored to one day see her photo in the followers box.

Well, Ms. Humble is holding a pie contest, and I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never entered a baking contest, and I don't really have the best track record of winning anything. But hey, you never know.

But, what to make? I searched through all my cookbooks looking for inspiration and not finding anything that screamed, "Bake me!" It wasn't until I was walking through Costco, the only store in my area of the country where you can purchase fruits and vegetables that rival those found in the produce markets of Europe, that I spotted some of the most beautiful blackberries. So big. So plump. Yum. I knew I had to make a pie with blackberries.

I think I'll eat blackberries till I'm purple.

One of my favorite autumn pies is a cranberry apple. (Look for that post around Thanksgiving.) This is a version of that pie. Give it a try yourself, or wish me luck. But really, thanks for reading. I appreciate it.

Right out of the oven. If only you could smell this through 
the computer.

One final note: From Ms. Humble's blog, I learned the word "nom". She uses it quite often, and I finally googled it. Urbandictionary.com defines the word as "the sound made when someone is eating or chewing something and really enjoying it". Totally fitting for her blog and for this recipe.

You should let the pie cool completely if you want your piece of 
pie to hold its triangular shape. If you just can't wait, realize 
it will be more like cobbler. As you can see, we couldn't wait.
Nom, nom, nom, nom!


Blackberry Apple Pie

Ingredients:

  • ¾ cup flour
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup toasted pecans
  • 6 Tbsps. butter, chilled
  • 4 tart apples, thinly sliced
  • 1 cups sugar
  • 4 Tbsps. flour
  • 2 Tbsps. lemon juice
  • 2 cups blackberries
  • 1 9-in. unbaked pie shell
Put flour, brown sugar, pecans and butter in a food processor and pulse until it's a texture you like. I, personally, prefer a texture like coarse sand. Set aside.


Mix apples, sugar, flour and lemon juice together. Gently fold in blackberries. Pour mixture into pie shell. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the top of the pie.


Cover edges of the pie with foil to prevent burning. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 30 minutes or until bubbling in the middle. Let pie cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.