Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easier Than Math Chocolate Cake

Recently, someone told me my recipes are too complicated and asked if I could post something simple. My first reaction was, "Really...? Complicated...? You've got to be kidding." But then, I thought it over for a moment. I have never in my life been able to do math–something that is simple for a lot of people, like my kids. And it's a good thing my kids understand math because they aren't getting any help from Dad.

So, here it is–an incredibly simple chocolate cake recipe that is not only good but ready to eat in just 30 minutes.This is helpful for FHE treats, a potluck event, or if you just need a quick chocolate fix. It doesn't need frosting, and it's best eaten warm.

If you've read through many of my posts, you might be thinking everyday is a birthday at the office. There are certainly times it feels that way, but I am more than happy to bring treats. However, an easy recipe like this comes in handy when life gets hectic, and there's something scheduled every night of the week (last night it was Liam's soccer game in the bitter cold wind). So this morning, I whipped up the batter and popped the cake in the oven in just a few minutes. By the time I finished showering and was dressed for work, it was done. I let it cool over breakfast, and then I was out the door with cake in hand.

It really is that easy, so give it a try.

Happy birthday, Danielle! I thought it would
look better if I cut the cake into squares and
piled them on a plate. Looking at the photo,
it appears rather messy. But, it's a tasty mess.

And, look how simple and easy it is to dress it up.


Easier Than Math Chocolate Cake

  • ⅔ cup oil
  • 3 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 ½ cups flour
  • 1 tsp. soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 ½ cups water
Mix ingredients as listed. Pour into a greased 12"x18" cookie sheet. Sprinkle 1 cup chocolate chips over top. You can use milk chocolate, semisweet, white chocolate, butterscotch, or peanut butter chips. If desired, sprinkle 1 cup of nuts over top. Bake at 350˚ for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.