Friday, October 9, 2009

Sour Cream Cookies with Browned Butter Frosting

It took me a while, but I finally did it. I decided which recipe to publish first. And I can't believe it doesn't have any chocolate in it. What's up with that? Well, these cookies totally deserve the honor of being my first recipe blog post.

Katie got this recipe from her mother, and it comes from an early 1900's dairy farmer's cookbook. It just may be my favorite cookie of all time. I love the soft, almost spongy cookie. And the browned butter gives the frosting an amazing flavor.

I did make one tiny alteration to the recipe. The recipe as we received it calls for shortening. I have serious doubts whether a dairy farmer's wife would have used shortening in the early 1900's, so I changed it to butter. I don't notice a difference.

I find it extremely difficult to control myself and not snarf down a whole dozen of these tasty cookies in one sitting. I say, try these out and see if you can resist. 


After trying to take a nice shot of the cookies with my old 
Canon Power Shot, I have now added a new camera to my 
Christmas wish list. So until that wish comes true, I apologize .


Update (6-22-10): Since I finally have a decent camera, I decided tp add a new photo the next time we made these cookies. Much improved, don't you think?

 



Sour Cream Cookies with Browned Butter Frosting

Ingredients:

Cookies:
  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. baking powder
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
Frosting:
  • 6 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs. Sift dry ingredients together. Add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream to creamed mixture. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350˚ for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool. Makes 3 ½ to 5 dozen.

For the frosting, heat the 6 tablespoons butter on low heat in a saucepan until golden brown. Remove from heat and beat in 2 cups sifted powdered sugar. Add vanilla. Frost cookies and enjoy. (If the frosting begins to stiffen, add very small amounts of hot water and stir until it reaches spreading consistency.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I'll try and respond soon.